Sex Marker on US passports

By on Thursday, June 10th, 2010

Beginning today, when a passport applicant presents a doctor’s certification that he or she has undergone treatment for gender transition, their passport will be updated to accurately reflect their sex. Sex reassignment surgery is no longer required to change the gender on an American passport.
The U.S. Department of State introduced new policy guidelines on changing the sex marker on passports.
Transgender Americans face extreme danger when traveling abroad in the many countries that are hostile to them. Many also experience harassment when entering and leaving this country. Adoption of this safety-focused policy is a giant step forward in protecting transgender Americans and in fulfilling the State Department’s commitment to protect all Americans when they travel, work or live overseas.
Under the new policy, it is also possible to obtain a temporary passport in the appropriate sex if a physician’s statement shows that an applicant is in the process of gender transition.
The new policy and procedures are based on standards and recommendations of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH).

Categories : LGBT Cancer

Leave a Reply